An regular image

The castle

Historical Tour Part 5

The castle

The main attraction at Wenngarn is the castle. On September 27, 1282, a Mr. Gere is mentioned at "Vinagarum", the first time that Wenngarn is mentioned in writing. The name Gere is very unusual and Gere at Wenngarn was probably a descendant of Gere in Viby.

We do not know how old the oldest parts of Wenngarn's castle are, but much indicates at least the late 13th century. The oldest stone house was later expanded and provided during the 15th century with a wing in the south. In the following years, the goods were expanded and the main building became a large stone house for the time being more to impress than for defense. The castle's several floors must have made a strong impression on the farm's people and visitors.

During the 1590s, a major rebuilding of the castle took place. The builder was Duke Gustav of Saxony-Lauenburg. Gustav decided to convert Wenngarn into a renaissance palace. He then had his stake destroyed with an inscription on one of the castle's wings. Shortly thereafter, Gustav died after being shot in the lap of a military exercise and the castle returned to the crown.

In 1628, Wenngarn was paid to General Franz Bernhard von Thurn from Bohemia (today's Czech Republic). His son then rented out the castle to the De la Gardie family.

Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie bought the castle in 1653. The land area was greatly expanded and Queen Kristina provided a number of benefits, including full tax exemption. Now the castle was out of date but still functioned as a home. In 1661, De la Gardie initiated the modernization and expansion of its castles in Uppland; Jacobsdal, Ekholmen, Karlberg and Wenngarn. In order to utilize the workforce as efficiently as possible, the work went on simultaneously. Skilled craftsmen such as builders, painters, sculptors, masons and gardeners were needed. Workshops were created in connection with the construction sites. In Jacobsdals (now Ulriksdal) workshops, the interior was manufactured for the castle chapel, which is now located at Wenngarn.

At the reduction, Wenngarn was withdrawn to the crown. However, Magnus Gabriel and his Maria Eufrosyne were allowed to stay. In 1686 he passed away, aged 64. Maria then moved to her favorite estate Höjentorp in Västergötland. Wenngarn stood empty for a while but was subsequently trained as a residence for the county governors. The first to move in was Olof Thegner. His son-in-law Jacob Gyllenborg then took over the right of use. He was a German of the second generation, born in 1648, and with both luck and skill he reached the top of society as a member of parliament, Land Marshal, Royal Council and governor. He was honored as a count for his efforts in the reduction and came to spend his entire life against the power of the nobility and the king's sovereignty. It is the irony of fate that he who "undressed" Magnus Gabriel's assets came to live at Wenngarn. And not only he, the right of use passed on to his children.

Next part

The next part of the historic walk you will find at the entrance to the white house which is located on the courtyard.

TIP! Use the map in the app to navigate during the tour. Filter the hike by clicking Round Hike.