An regular image

The cultural figure, the carriage and the magazine

Historical Hiking Part 11

The cultural figure, the carriage and the magazine

Previously there were four major economy buildings, today only two remain. The carriage house, dated to the 18th century, was formerly one of the oldest economy buildings on Wenngarn. The site was rebuilt in the 20th century and used as a storage room and stand for carts and wagons. The barn next to the trolley was built in 1925 and rebuilt after the 1938 fire. It served as a supplementary stable for the two other lengths at the farm. Both the trolley and the barn burned to the ground on October 1, 2013, the same day that Sisyphus entered the property.

Planning for reconstruction is ongoing. The red building, Magasinet, dates from the early 19th century and was used for storage of utensils and food. The building survived by barely a margin in the 1938 fire. In recent years it is used for auction and flea market and is run by the handball club Skånela IF and the profits go to their operations. The stable is one of the buildings that was created when the farm's agriculture was expanded in the 1920s. The alcoholics would be rehabilitated by working with agriculture. The idea was that they would learn a profession at the same time.

In 1967, agriculture was discontinued and operations were reorganized into industry. The animals were also moved from Wenngarn and the stable was used as a workshop and storage room until the 1990s when auctions and flea markets became popular. The stable is used today for conferences, events and includes, among others, brewery, museums and bakeries.

Next part

The next part of the historic walk you will find at the entrance of the ballroom.

TIP! Use the map in the app to navigate during the tour. Filter the hike by clicking Round Hike.